There are many challenges facing the workforce today: downsizing, the increasing importance of student employees, legal issues, reauthorization, the America Reads and Math Counts programs, community service, changes in technology, funding fluctuations and job trends. Meeting these challenges requires creativity, innovation and the ability to look beyond “the way it’s always been done.” The members of SASEA successfully master these charges everyday and are ready and willing to share their knowledge and expertise with you. Join the network and find out how to improve services to students and employers, learn and grow professionally, and take your programs to new heights!
We look forward to working with you!
Members include individuals and institutions associated with the administration and support of student employment in post secondary educational programs and government, private, community, or civic organizations. Members are often involved in a variety of fields: Financial Aid, JLD, Work-Study, Student Employment, Career Services, Placement, Cooperative Education, Internships, Human Resources, and private industry.
SASEA encourages participation from all states. The southern region is defined by the National Student Employment Association (NSEA) to include Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
Membership in SASEA is open to all individuals involved in employing students whether they are from educational institutions or industry. Membership will be for one year from the date of receipt of dues by the Member-At-Large. You may join SASEA as an individual or an institutional member.
- Individual Membership
- The individual membership is $50 per year and covers one professional from your organization for one year from the time of application.
- Institutional Membership
- An institutional membership covers four professionals from your campus for one year from the time of application and is $150 per year.
- Why purchase an institutional membership? It provides a discounted membership of $37.50 (instead of $50) for four professionals at your institution.
- Beyond the obvious financial discount, those individuals listed on your institutional membership will receive the quarterly issues of SASEA News as well as conference information and all association mailings. This is a great way to garner support from key people on your campus. For example, Faye Jordan of Furman University uses three of her institutional memberships to "let higher ups on my campus know about my professional involvement outside the university and keep them informed of current issues in the field of student employment.
SASEA is one of four (4) regional associations represented by the National Student Employment Association (NSEA). The four regions are MASEA - Midwest; NEASEA - Northeast; SASEA - Southern; and WASEA - Western.
- Newsletter - Read about what is happening in the association and get up-to-date information on student employment events and trends. Contribute articles and share your expertise with colleagues.
- Networking - Expand your professional development opportunities. By networking with student employment colleagues, you can get information about current events, the latest technology and publications, and legislative changes including Reauthorization.
- Professional Assistance and Knowledge - Develop professionally without ever leaving your office by reading the Power PAK series. Written by SASEA student employment professionals, Power PAK is designed to provide members an opportunity to expand their knowledge and improve their own institutional programs.
- Directory - Access a continually updated directory of SASEA colleagues on the web.
- SASEA Listserve - Easy way to gather information, seek advice, or compare notes and keep up with the latest events.
- Professional Development - Contribute your knowledge and expertise through active committee work. Gain valuable experience in areas such as conference planning, publicity, budgeting, publications, training, presentation skills, etc.
- Conference Scholarship – (Varies annually in availability) Opportunity for one to two members yearly to be awarded conference registration fee (funded by SASEA) in exchange for commitment to serve on a SASEA committee.
- Awards - Gain regional and national recognition:
- “Best of Region” - awarded each year to the best regional conference presentation as judged by conference attendees. The recipient receives $500 towards conference expenses to present their program at the NSEA annual meeting.
- “Student Employee of the Year” - awarded each year to a student nominated from a campus within the region. The SASEA winner’s student will receive a Savings Bond and go on to complete in the National Student Employee of the Year competition. The national winner receives an award at the NSEA conference in the fall.
Student Employment Conferences
SASEA Annual Conference - Known for our Southern hospitality, our conference is a great opportunity to gain valuable information, renew energy and share ideas with colleagues. Typical sessions include Legal Issues, marketing your Student Employment Program, Student Employment Technology, and Presentation Skills.
NSEA Annual Conference - Each fall, the National Student Employment Association meets to discuss legislative issues, present the latest in technology and student employment research, and share ideas with colleagues.